If your child becomes suddenly ill with high fever, difficulty breathing, not acting right, or you have other concerns as a parent, do not use Over the Counter products. Your Child needs to see a medical provider.
Over the Counter Remedies studied to be helpful for KIDS for cold and flu symptoms:
- WASH AND SANITIZE HANDS IS THE BEST WAY TO PREVENT COLDS.
- Vitamin C: infants on up, 1 – 2 grams daily up to 3 months, use for prevention during flu season
OTC Treatment of Congestion and Cough:
- Honey: NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER AGE 1: 2 – 5 years 2.5ml honey once, 6-11 years, 5ml once, 12-18 years, 10ml once.
- Nasal Saline Irrigation: Age 6 – 10 years 3-9ml per nostril 6 times/day, up to 3 weeks of use
- Vicks (camphor, menthol, eucalyptus oils): Age 2 – adult, topical to chest at time of sleep
- Analgesics: Acetaminophen 15mg/kg every 6 hours, use up to 48 hours
- Elderberry: Age 2 on up: Sambucol syrup 1 tbsp twice a day for 5 days at onset of symptoms. DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN, COULD CAUSE CYANIDE POISONING.
Main Reference: American Family Physician 100 (5), September 1, 2019