A burn is damage to body tissues caused by heat (dry or moist), electricity, friction, chemicals, or sunlight. A scald is a burn caused by hot water or steam. Many burns and scalds happen in the home.  Prevent them with a few tips:  

Outside the home:  Wear Sunscreen! (Sunburns are the most common burns).  Do not allow children near barbecue grills, household, or outdoor chemicals.  Do not allow children near burn sites or areas where there may be oil or gasoline spills, or welding sparks.     

Inside the home:  Turn your water heater setting down to 120 degrees F.  Never leave a child alone in the bathroom or kitchen, around hot appliances, stoves, heaters, or chemicals.  Keep pot handles turned away from the stove front.  Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.  Do not leave candles or fire in a fireplace unattended.   Do not smoke in bed.  Never leave a burning cigarette unattended (or better yet, stop smoking!).  Use portable heaters with caution.  Turn off the portable heater every time you leave the room or go to sleep.   Make sure electrical cords are not frayed and do not overload extension cords.  Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and replace the batteries a least once a year.   Have an escape plan in case of fire in your home. Keep a charged fire extinguisher within easy reach on each level of your home. Know how to use it.  

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!